Note: The final assessment of whether you can give blood will be made by the medical screener at the blood bank. If you are unsure about your eligibility, Call and speak to the staff at your nearest blood bank.
General eligibility criteria
To donate blood, you must:
- Be between the age of 18-60
- Be in general good health.
- Not have had any flu/ covid-19 symptoms e.g. sore throat, cough, runny nose or diarrhoea for at least 3 months.
- Not have had a fever in the last 4 weeks.
- Not have taken medication, herbal supplements or traditional herbal remedies for at least 3 days. If you have taken antibiotics, wait at least 1 week.
- Weigh at least 45 kg.
- Have a haemoglobin level of at least 13.0 g/dl for males and 12.5 g/dl for females.
- Not have taken any kind of injection in the last 3 months.
- Not have Covid19 or had Covid19 in the 3 months
It may be harmful to you or the recipients if you donate blood when you are not eligible to do so.
Important: You should continue taking medications prescribed or recommended by your physicians.